Sunday, August 10, 2008

Shear Genius - Canine Edition

Sorry not to post it earlier... but here is the photo journal of the Summer 2008 Shaving of Sofia.

First, for any readers who don't know her, this is what Sofia normally looks like:


She is a pretty, fluffy husky mix.

That is, pretty and fluffy when it's a reasonable temperature outside. Sweltering Mississippi summers make it hard to think of her as anything other than an Unstoppable Shedding Machine. So, though it always makes people burst out laughing at the poor creature's expense... I caved and shaved the husky again.

And this time, I bought a razor and did it myself.

The photo-journal follows. Enjoy.


At first, it wasn't so bad. We went out on the back porch, armed with razor, brush, and a positive attitude:



I think Sof knew what it meant when I said "oops" and took out a giant chunk of neck-fur...


And then the haphazard back-shaving began... (I actually think it should be considered a plus that I know zilch about back-shaving)


Then my friend O showed up and schooled me a little on how the shaving business is run:


But Sofia started looking awwwwwfully nervous when he went for the neck.


It ultimately took another two days of me using my evenings to plow through that thick husky hair... but finally, she was fairly evenly shorn. So then I interviewed her about her reactions to her new look.

....and those are the best of the photos, but unfortunately the stupid computer is now refusing to let me upload them, even when I just tried creating a second post, so hopefully Blogger will be more friendly tomorrow, and there will be a Part II to this post...

1 comment:

Bret K said...

she does kinda look like a sacrificial lamb in that last picture... opie just needs an ephod