Sunday, January 27, 2008

Eudora Wins! I Get a Mention :)

I've been doing a lot of writing lately, though not much blogging. A few days ago, I got a text message from a friend saying "Congrats on good showing with the writing!" I wasn't sure what the message meant. Turns out, quite to my surprise, I got enough votes in the Jackson Free Press "Best Of" competition to warrant a mention as one of Jackson's best writers.

Who took first place? Pulitzer Prize winner Eudora Welty. I think I'm okay with that. However, one indignant friend of mine said I should have "campaigned" and made more people vote for me in order to oust Eudora, who, as he pointed out, is dead. I still think I'm flattered, and totally okay with her winning.

This year. ;)


Best Jackson Writer: Eudora Welty
by Greg Williamson

Winner of two Guggenheim Fellowships and a Pulitzer Prize in fiction, Eudora Welty lived in Jackson almost all of her 92 years before her death in 2001. She still remains so much a part of the community. I love her dialogue, which conveys all the complexity of the human condition, and when read aloud makes you feel as rooted to the soil of the South as an old magnolia tree.

Second: Donna Ladd / Third: (tie) Orley Hood and Todd Stauffer / Good Showing: (tie) Lori Gregory and Beth Kander.

http://www.jacksonfreepress.com/comments.php?id=16056_0_9_0_C

6 comments:

Bret K said...

No pressure or anything, but my prediction is that after certain projects finish up, you'll be in the running for best of several categories =)

dramamama said...

whooo hooo!! congrats!

Mazel tov, y'all!

Beth said...

Bret... here's hoping a)you're right and b)we still get along just as well when we're vying for some of those wins ;) I have confidence that we'll both be cheering a lot.

DM... thanks! and I'm channeling writing energy over your way for that thar dissertation... :)

-writables said...

Of course we can't rule out advancement by assassination. A time honored way of advancement.

neola said...

Sugar plum, that is amazing! Mazel tov! :)

(psst! the bleeding heart show is no longer dormant!)

Ariella said...

Mazel Tov!!! Such exciting news...Can't wait for you to be the best in Jackson. You are the most creative person I know.