Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Don't Shave A Husky!

Author Karen Pryor wrote a book several years back called "Don't Shoot the Dog!: The New Art of Teaching and Training." She grabbed your attention with that first admonition - don't shoot the dog! - and it alluded to her deeper philosophical point: all too often, when things go wrong, we blame the dog (wait... didn't quite mean to make that joke...) rather than the trainer, the training methods, the process that yielded the product.

Pryor argues that rather than shooting the dog (or taking it to the pound, but that made for a more cumbersome title), we should look at changing our own methods. Really, it's sort of an animal take on Ghandi: be the change you wish to see in the world. All right, that's kind of a stretch, but she did a good job driving home the point that training impacts the trained, and re-examination of our own methods when interacting with pets, children, co-workers, spouses, and so on, is generally more productive than just writing off said pets, children, etcetera.

So what do I mean by "don't shave a husky"?

Do I mean it as a metaphor for not just taking the easy way out? Because it is true that with the suddenly skyrocketed temperatures down here earlier this week, my husky Sofia started shedding like nobody's business, and it was making me crazy. So I took her to a groomer and asked them to give her a trim, so that maybe my house could be a little less hairy. Rather than vacuuming three times daily, lint-rolling my clothes constantly, and investing all that time in Sofia Hair Management, I took the easy route and let the groomers attack the root of the hair problem. So perhaps we can learn from this:

"Don't Shave A Husky!" It's the easy way out! If you've committed to a fluffy-haired pet, commit to its impact on your life!

"Don't Shave A Husky!!" Altering the natural, beautiful state of something just because it's inconvenient is a selfish, materialistic move. Are clean sofas really worth messing with another creature's appearance? Let's make the case for natural beauty!

"Don't Shave a Husky!!!" SEE! I could have a larger, transcendent point, just like Karen Pryor! Lessons from animals also apply to people! Don't take the path of least resistance!! The easy road leads to nowhere!!! Natural is beautiful!!!!

Well, now. Maybe there's something to all that.

But mostly, by "don't shave a husky,"I just mean that my dog got shaved today, and she looks really, really stupid.




*See how she won't even turn to face the camera! She is too ashamed! But imagine her still-fluffy head matched with a shaved little body. The tail should give you some idea. Look at the tail - my heavens, THE TAIL!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahahahahahahahahaha!

Bret K said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

She looks so off balance... like she's about to tip over backwards

dramamama said...

so, does she shed any less?

Beth said...

Well, yes, she sheds a LOT less. It's hard to shed so much when you're 90% bald.

And yes, I keep waiting for her to tip over backwards. Hasn't happened yet, but I'm still not ruling it out.

As I commented to Bret earlier, she went from a sheep in wolf's clothing to a naked little lamb... bless her little heart!

Anonymous said...

we shaved our dog not for the hair but for his comfort. we usually are in MI but found ourselves working in the hot southwest. we didn't shave him bald. we took off the outer coat. he was panting even in the ac. he's an indoor dog for the most part. he liked being shaved

Joyce (aka The Moon Goddess of Elmendor) said...

OMG, how hilarious! I was looking for ways to shave a husky, more for his benefit than my own, because he hates to be brushed or to have me constantly pulling out the shedding hair. But now I'm thinking twice about it!

Anonymous said...

I did the same to my Husky, but because there was sort of a heat wave and the dog looked like he was suffering. It looked like he was wearing a crash helmet, I will rather find a alternative way to cool him, maybe get him his own kiddies pool.