Sunday, April 27, 2008

Notes From a Coffee Shop

So I just posted two past weeks' blog posts that I started but didn't finish. Don't get confused, it's not that you missed them... they were waiting in the wings, unpublished, unfinished.

"Unfinished" is too much of a theme in my writing life lately. Anything seems easier than finishing the writing task at hand. Even now, as I sit here in the coffeeshop, committed to a writing date with myself, I'm looking for outs. Maybe someone wants to watch a movie? Maybe I should check Facebook to see what new events I need to add to my calendar? People watching...! How about people watching? That should count towards writing time - it's character material fodder, right?


So much easier to procrastinate than to write! When I am sans deadline, I suffer from a miserable combination: tons of inspiration and ideas + zero motivation. When I have a deadline, I often feel a bit blocked idea-wise, but at least the fire is lit and I can get moving. I need to find the shift, wherein I can write when I have ideas about what to write... rather than having brilliant ideas while driving through the middle of nowhere and having thoughts like "man, Sofia looked funny when she was shaved" fill my head while I waste my hours of writing time at the coffeeshop.


Perhaps tonight's next activity will be to do what I keep intending to do, but keep forgetting to do: put together a timeline of submission deadlines, and set up a calendar of monthly external deadlines for myself. So, dear readers (whoever has not yet given up on this poor, abandoned blog), do help keep me on task. Ask me if I got the list done. Ask what the next goal is. I need to find a rhythm before the next surge of work/travel/outside obligations makes it even more difficult for me to stay focused.


Sending good writing and excellent life-in-general vibes out to everyone...

1 comment:

Bret K said...

definitely keep up with your poor, abandoned blog. i miss my beth posts!

i find myself in the same spot a lot of times... i wish there was a way to type while driving.

and yes, sophia looked pretty hilarious shaved =)