Monday, April 7, 2008

Storms

Huge storms ripped through Jackson this Friday. I was unaware of the magnitude of the storms until I headed home at day's end, with down power lines, trees, and traffic lights stretching my fifteen minute commute into forty-five minutes. I knew there had been a storm, was even caught out in some intense hail during lunch, but the worst of it missed my office - and also missed my home. Incredibly, several of the tornadoes touched down smack in between my home and office.

The weather, so beyond our control, seemed a powerful and unforgiving metaphor for life in general. So often, we are wrapped in ourselves, and not fully aware of those around us. I didn't know the storm was as bad as it was because I was not one directly impacted - but the storm was all around, and many, many were impacted. Some of my friends are currently unable to live in their apartments; others have no power. My gym is partially de-roofed. The Storage Max building I rarely notice was partially destroyed- cement and brick ripped from its side.

The storm doesn't always touch down right above your head. But there's usually someone being impacted by some sort of storm, somewhere. Hold a good thought that those without roofs and without power are soon fully restored... and maybe this week can be a reminder that even when we're doing just fine ourselves, someone is always under the thunder.

No comments: