Thursday, January 1, 2009

Resolved.

I remember an assignment from years ago, some civics requirement, where I had to write a resolution using the appropriate language and format. Thinking back about the task, I recall appreciating the structure of a formal resolution. The first section is several "WHEREAS" statements, which outline the current situation (ie, "WHEREAS, there are not enough traffic signals in Smallville," "AND WHEREAS, studies have shown traffic signals can significantly reduce automobile accidents..."); the second section outlines the proposed solutions to the situation, stated in terms of "THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED,""BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED," and "BE IT FINALLY RESOLVED."

This structure enables us to first encounter the reality, concretize the issues and allow the existing status to inform not only the writer, but the reader, as to why the proposed resolutions are sound. THEREFORE, instead of informal but specific resolutions like "eat breakfast every morning" or "take real salsa-dancing classes again" (though both of those are things I'd like to do), I am making more all-encompassing, formal resolutions; to that end, I am writing my new year's resolutions here this year following the language style noted above. We'll see whether or not this idea's a good one; Congress passes many resolutions, and as they say, if the opposite of pro is con, then the opposite of progress must be... but nevertheless. Here goes.

RESOLUTION: 2009

WHEREAS, I have had many reminders lately of how important it is to appreciate the friends and family with which I've been blessed, AND

WHEREAS, staying healthy and being productive in my work and writing is crucial to my basic survival, AND

WHEREAS, a balance of work and rest, productive time and downtime, social time and one-on-one time is critical to peace of mind,

THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that I will spend more time enjoying my loved ones and being grateful for them, and less time worrying or stressing out about trivial matters, AND

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that I will be more disciplined about going to the gym and eating healthily, and more focused and productive about both my work and my writing, AND

BE IT FINALLY RESOLVED that in the coming year, I will not only try to more evenly balance my time and commitments, but also that I will expend less energy on regret and stress; instead I will take more deep breaths, shift perspective whenever possible to see someone else's point of view, and regularly, sincerely take the time to feel and express gratitude for the good that surrounds me.

HERE WITNESSED THIS FIRST OF JANUARY, TWO THOUSAND AND NINE OF THE COMMON ERA.

No comments: