Sunday, January 11, 2009

Why I Hate My Blog (And How I Will Start To Love It)

...

I am sick and tired of this stupid blog.

There, I said it. In fact, earlier this week, I went so far as to refer to this blog as "my punishment for wanting to be a writer." It's true: I set up this blog and named it Bethweek as a writing exercise, a weekly requirement I gave myself. No matter how stuck I was, I was supposed to write something, anything, because that is what writers do. We write. And if I consider myself a writer, then yes, my punishment is that I had to enforce a weekly minimum-writing regimen.

I have occasionally neglected this blog (though to my credit, it's usually when I've been doing a lot of other writing, and thus a minimum-writing requirement was a moot point). When I do keep up with it, I have tended to shy away from anything too candid or too controversial. Occasionally I'm proud of what I write here, but I often find it overly safe, and sometimes even boring.

So what's to be done? Abandon this blog like I did the last one? (Poor, wretched thing.) Or attempt a re-branding? The staff* here at Bethweek has reached a crossroads. We** cannot continue on as we*** have been going.

At least at the moment, I am going to push (punish?) myself into trying to revive this blog. Though it feels scary, I will make it more controversial when necessary, will make it frequently more deep and consistently more honest. I will also make it a more structured blog. For example, in keeping with another recent resolution - Read More Books - one of my posts each month will be a book review. In the coming months, look for reviews of a range of books, including The Year Of Living Biblically, I Am America And So Can You!, and The Mother Tongue: English and How It Got That Way.

Look, too, for the aforementioned more-deep-and-controversial blogs, including one already in development, tentatively titled "A Liberal Explanation, or, What Do You Mean My Heart's Bleeding?" and another that will explore eavesdropping in local bars. Stay tuned.


*That'd be me
** I
*** I

1 comment:

dramamama said...

Looking forward to it.

:-)