Monday, March 9, 2009

Ladies & Gentleman

What constitutes "gentlemanly" these days?

How about "ladylike"?

When it comes to defining these terms, I think it's getting more and more difficult to discern cliche from compliment, polite from posturing. Is being demure ladylike, or nowadays does that just mean being a pushover? Is being commanding gentlemanly, or would we now just call that being controlling?

I'd like to give some thought to this. But in all honesty, I spent a lot of time writing this weekend - finished a full-length play that I've been chipping away at for some time! - and my mind is, simply put, spent.

So while I'd like to have something eloquent to say about this, at the moment, I do not. I'm just putting the thought out there, as something to return to at a later date. If you have any brilliant insights (or not-so-brilliant... look at this post... who am I to judge?), feel free to post. Otherwise, all I can say for now is, I'll try to devote a bit more time to the ol' blog next week, and come up with something more thought-provoking.

(Somehow, "ol' blog" sounds decidedly unladylike to me...)

1 comment:

Kenn12 said...

Good question. I always thought a gentleman was one who tried to observe the golden rule, " Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." Or maybe someone who just thought outside of himself and tried to do more for others. Another thing, my grandmother used to say there was a big difference between a lady and a woman. Maybe the golden rule applies to them as well. I have been around social elite who call themselves gentlemen and ladies, yet the only thing I see that makes them that way is perception of themselves. They dress well and behave in public, but once you know them they are heartless and share gossip and are mean spirited. This, to me, puts them in other catagories. It is harder these days to be gentlemanly, try holding a door open for a someone when it is automatic and opens on its own. Or tell some driver getting out of his car that he left his lights on, usually now they will tell you with some venom in their voice, (like you should know) "They turn off on their on." Is it harder to find a gentleman or to be one?